THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 5, 2007

I bought dresses (yes, plural!)

Okay - confession time, I went bridal dress shopping. With my mother on Saturday to LuLu's sample sale, in Dallas, TX. I'm spiraling out of control – this wedding is taking my sanity from me! Chris is shopping for the ring, and I know it has been 5 years - so I don't feel as awkward that I am still without-ring, but awkward enough that I will NOT tell anyone that I went shopping for my bridal dress alread.
Okay - so mums and I are going dress shopping – JUST TO LOOK - get there, and I found $200 fabulous shoes that were marked down for $15 - score.

So, then I think we will just peruse the dresses, not try any on. Within 10 minutes of walking in the door - I have the clothespins to mark my dream dress and I have tagged 5 dresses that I want to be whisked away into my fitting room. 20 minutes later - I'm trying on dresses. The first four don't zip up and then dress number 5...BAM! It is zipped up and GORGEOUS! Look at the tag....Jasmine Couture retail $1,050 sale price $99.

Yes, this thousand dollar plus dress is $99 in my size. All it needs is a hook n' eye and dry cleaning. Strapless, silk, small amount of embellish beading, with a ruffle train in back. It is SILK and TAFFETA - two of the sweetest words to my ears.... So, I am still feeling awkward - wedding year and half away, I'm trying on dresses sans an engagement ring. Then we are alerted that Stardust Celebrations in Plano, TX, Lulu's huge, expensive sister store, is also having a sale. To my surprise – LuLu’s will hold this $99 find dress while we run to see their sister. We hop in the car, Dallas to Plano, and arrive at wedding Mecca land. More accessories at bargain prices that my mom and I flock to, let’s be honest, sales are our kryptonite. Then, we head upstairs to the bridal boutique. Dresses here run $2,500 to $10,000. I know, 10K for a dress, can it truly be worth the money? All the dresses are dripping in glitz, which I am all for typically – I live for sparkles, but they have taken this to an entirely new level. I feel as though I am Audrey Hepburn in a Roman Holiday shopping for my coronation gown.

Believe me, I cannot stomach wearing these over be-dazzled dresses; I try a few on and cannot handle it. In the entire place, I found two dresses that didn't make me laugh. Then, after much discussion, mom and I decide it would be better for us to go back to LuLu's today then in two days to get this fabulous find at $99. My mom has the notion that she would rather me buy a $99 winner now, and if I change my mind in a year, $99 is just a drop in the bucket, no real loss. I am still struggling with the notion, that I am a complete psycho nut-job, purchasing a wedding dress at this point without a ring, when we arrive at LuLu’s. Since my finger is naked and the wedding almost two years away,I decided we should make another pass at the $99 rack, not continue to shop the dresses running from $400 to $1800 buckaroos. While I can imagine buying a bargain dress this early, I cannot drop hundreds this early on. Then on the rack, there it is, a dress that I have envisioned for a fun, reception party dress. It is white strapless silk, with a beading overlay that covers my shoulders with little sleeves. It ties at the collar in back of the neck with a low back and little buttons.

Instantly, my thoughts envision chopping this dress off for a cocktail length party dress for the reception. With the wedding being small and intimate since it is hundreds miles away, the reception will probably be in a restaurant. I think it would be awkward and to much attention for me to handle if I was wearing my poofy dress in a restaurant with normal non-wedding people staring. My mom totally sees it as well...cut off the dress for a tea-length.

This dress also has the $99 price tag...we then look down and see - this dress retails for $3,700. Yes, you heard me right. Mums and I then wonder how tragic would it be to chop off a dress at the knees that costs this much and if Cynthia (the couture designer), would some how know and hunt us down like dogs. Is this some sort of sacrilegious action against the bridal fashion gods?Without much pondering and an uneasiness in my stomach, we purchase both and earrings (for dress-up - not wedding) and leave the store with a bill of $236. For two dresses.... Mums and I decided it is our little secret...also, my mom reveals, she has always envisioned us going to Sak's Fifth Bridal Boutique sipping champagne and dropping several g’s on a dress.

My mother, my own flesh and blood, wanting to pay retail for a dress - too much retail at that. I told her retail would break my heart and she said I should never look at a price tag when it comes to my wedding. Here I was thinking I got this gene that makes it genetically impossible for me to pay retail for anything and she is encouraging this overspending, crazy behavior. So, this is the cover story - the dresses are hiding in her closet and next spring, we will invite Aunt Ann and go to a chi-chi boutique, sip this champagne and try on dresses. Act as though we are scouting, and as long as I am still in love with the other two - go get them did-up and perfected for me. I will definitely post pictures – I cannot find any online of the dresses and they wouldn’t allow me to take pictures in store.
Love!

No comments: